Sunday, November 17, 2019

DAY 9 – KW’S EXCELLENT HOLIDAY STAYCATION


Saturday, and I was awake early and up at 5:30. Temp was about 40. It’s good that it hasn’t been really cold during my staycation. I was able to manage the wood quite well.

Mike called this morning to let me know he was on the road. He called again in the evening from Pocatello. He plans an early start in the morning.

Today I made leaves on organza with my embroidery machine. There just isn’t much to say about that. The project is a bit tedious, but I’ve made a nice start and will make more in the next couple of days. Holiday movies played in the background.

I also baked M&M shortbread cookies. And daughter Hallie called for a catch-up visit.

After supper, I took my shower, and when I came out of the bathroom in pajamas and slippers, I heard the unmistakable chirp of a smoke alarm. I contemplated getting dressed and going to Walmart for a battery, but it was late enough – and I was tired enough – that I decided to tolerate the chirp through the night. It won’t be the first time. KW

3 comments:

Chris said...

Those crazy smoke detectors! And we don't keep 9=volt batteries around because the only things that use them at the smoke detectors. They say to change them when daylight savings time rolls around, but I have enough trouble remembering all the clocks that need to be reset (this time I remembered the Keurig right away, thermostat in a day or two, but the the bread machine didn't occur to me until I smelled it baking an hour earlier than I thought it would). Ahh, first-world problems!!

Becky said...

And why do those darn smoke alarms most always chirp at night or in the middle of the night? Never during the day when you have time to deal with them.....

Kathy said...

Mike and I don't change the batteries regularly as recommended. For one thing, they will last a lot longer than the recommended once-a-year change.

And that's right. They always start chirping at night. Could it be that the colder temp triggers it? I've noticed at the farm that a chirping smoke alarm will quit chirping when the house warms up a bit and then begin again as it cools.

I know we shouldn't be offhand about the smoke alarms. Apparently they save lives, but in my experience they have just been a nuisance.