Saturday, November 30, 2019

INTRO TO ADVENT 2019

In my childhood (the ‘50s), a syndicated serialized story about Santa Claus appeared weekdays in our newspaper during the month of December, from the first until just before Christmas. Mother and I would read that day’s installment before I went to school.
According to online research, these syndicated advent serials were written by journalist Lucrece Beale. The story presented a problem that Santa had to solve in order to meet the Christmas deadline. You can read the history of these delightful serials here – and even some of the stories.

A story writer I am not, but during December, I make this blog into a countdown to Christmas by posting a new installment every day. My little story is loosely (very loosely) based on the Christmas happenings that my grandmother, Ina Dickson Dobson (1870-1958), shared with my dad by letter. I call it fictionalized family history, but it's more like fractured family history. At any rate, for me it constitutes a visit with my grandmother, and her annual plan for a simple Christmas helps to center my own.
I write this simple advent project to entertain myself, and since I write it day by day, I hope the muse will stay with me until Christmas is here. I never know where the story will take me, but rest assured, Ina is happy as she prepares for Christmas in her world. I hope you enjoy this holiday offering. KW

No comments: