Wednesday, November 13, 2019

DAY 5 – KW’S EXCELLENT HOLIDAY STAYCATION


Today is Tuesday – it’s important to keep the days straight – and it began at 5:45 when the couple next door both started their vehicles and left for work. (Our bedroom borders their driveway.) I was wide awake then. Time to get up. It was 37 degrees and 64 in the house. I decided to start a fire in the little stove since this is an “at home” day. As it turned out, it was a dull day, so the cheery little fire in the grate was very pleasant all day long.

This morning I finished stitching the freestanding lace mini nativity figures for my friend, and here’s a picture of it. I was surprised that the animals and Baby Jesus seem out of proportion to the rest of the figures. I even checked my designs to be sure I hadn’t mixed sizes somehow. No, that’s just the way it is. There was just one shepherd, so I made two. I think the shepherds arrived in a group, don’t you? Even two seems kinda skimpy.

As I made my tea today in our thermal carafe, I happened to think that I have wanted one in a Christmas theme, so I sat right down in my armchair and shopped for it. These were widely available in the ‘80s and ‘90s but not so much today. I chose a “never used” pot from Etsy -- $24 with free shipping.

Today’s staycation gift delivered by the mailman was a Dept. 56 Snow Village Christmas truck. I like the Christmas truck.

I had Alexa play Christmas music for a while today. And I watched a Christmas movie. I love those as holiday mood-setters -- the snow scenes, decorations, and Ho Ho Ho – but not for the plots.

Mike messaged tonight to say that the VW service people couldn’t find anything wrong with the GTI. He guesses that’s good news, though I know he’s baffled by what he experienced. Still, he was concerned that the return trip might be delayed, but he says he plans to be back on Sunday. And that’s coming right up. KW

5 comments:

Chuck said...

What happened to the GTI on the way over? Is it something which could strand him on the way home? Your nativity looks fine. Just imagine the smaller figures are in the background.

Kathy said...

I don't really know much about what happened to the GTI. He said it felt like the turbo went out. He was able to move along in traffic. I'm assuming he can make it home in the same way, if necessary.

I agree that the smaller figures would be in the background, but it just seems strange that the animals would be in the foreground. Oh well.

Chris said...

I love watching the Christmas shows, too, and of course the plots are evident from the word go, but there's no violence and even the "bad people" get their comeuppance which always makes me happy. I have my favorite shows and actors with Trading Christmas and Mistletoe Promise being a couple of them (even though the female in MP looks like she needs a few (alot!) of good meals).

The lace nativity scene turned out beautifully, and when they're hung on the tree will be just fine. I always think of the animals on the outside edge so would appear bigger, and of course baby Jesus is the focus, so we'll say they are bigger for that reason.

Kathy said...

Right now I'm watching A Bramble House Christmas while I organize my collection of vintage Christmas cards. We changed our DISH package, so we no longer have the Hallmark channel, but we do have Hallmark Movies and Mysteries and Life, both of which have non-stop Christmas movies, at least during the day.

That's sound reasoning on the nativity figures.

Chris said...

I like the Bramble House Christmas, too. That little boy is so cute! We have Spectrum because it's the only way we can get high-speed internet because of the location of our house. We get regular Hallmark and the HMM and Lifetime, so I can usually fine something I want to watch on one of them. My ancient TV in my sewing room only works if I use my equally ancient VCR or DVD player, so I'm limited as I sew.