Friday, November 1, 2019

HALLOWEEN PASSES QUIETLY -- AND THE END OF THE TAIL (TALE)



Arriving at the farm last Sunday (Oct. 27), we couldn't help but notice that Blaze the Horse was still visiting our yard. Mike even found that he had been in the barn, perhaps to get out of the weather. Clearly, Blaze had more than one point of access from the canyon. So, Mike called Farmer Kyle, who came over Monday morning just as we were getting ready to leave.

We didn't hear from Kyle again until Wednesday morning when he called Mike to suggest that we report the horse to the state brand inspector, which Mike did, requesting any help in removing the horse. The brand inspector's office evidently called the Clearwater County Sheriff, and in turn he called Mike. He said he likes horses and would take care of it tomorrow. Who knew it could be so easy? In the past, it has not been.

*****

Can you believe Halloween is over? I had plans. I was going to finish my Halloween afghan and set out more decorations. No use to think of that now. When Halloween is over, it's over. Out with the ghosts and goblins and ghouls. Back to the shed with the witches, bats, and Halloween fabrics. Now it's time to celebrate autumn with gratitude. Bring out the pumpkins, turkeys, and Pilgrims.

I'm most disappointed that I still haven't finished the Halloween afghan. I'm tired of storing it as an unfinished project. I'd like to put it away on a shelf like a regular blanket. This ripple pattern is simple enough but slow-going in single crochet -- or maybe it's just that my crochet hook isn't speedy. I also feel guilty if I just sit and crochet during the day. At any rate, I can't linger long over it because Christmas is coming. And we must keep in mind that Thanksgiving is late this year -- November 28 -- so we have no window between Thanksgiving Day and the first of December. Ina has realized this, too. She must get organized. KW


4 comments:

M/W said...

The sheriff wasn't able to find Blaze. The smaller pond where he had been drinking was frozen and he apparently has moved out - at least temporarily. The saga continues.

Chuck said...

Apparently, this is not the end of the "tail". Where do you suppose he went? Not home, I'm sure. You will just have to have an old fashioned rodeo and horse roundup party, with the sheriff invited. I look forward to the next chapter.

Chris said...

Yes, Thanksgiving and Christmas are upon us! I was just thinking that I need to start making Christmas cookies and sticking them in the freezer. I'm starting to realize that I need to think ahead and space things out in my (semi) ancient age or else things don't get done as I would like. Save the afghan for January and tell yourself you're getting ahead of the game!

Kathy said...

You are so right, Chris! If it doesn't happen early, it doesn't happen.

Haha! -- "Save the afghan for January and tell yourself you're getting ahead of the game." I love that. I finished the last black stripe and put the afghan in the linen closet, but I really feel it needs at least another pattern repeat to be serviceable. Plus -- I have a lot of yarn. I bought more orange and then forgot that I had bought it and bought more. These things happen.