Sunday, June 21, 2020

A DOG OF A DIFFERENT COLOR


Evening over Central Ridge
In the Nellie era, when previous dog Nellie was our best friend and companion, she greeted the occasion of Mike’s bike rides as an opportunity for the two of us to take a nice walk. She was as comfortable with me as she was with Mike, and she would be the first to suggest that she and I should set off down the lane and up Plank’s Pitch. But Bess is a dog of a different color.

Friday afternoon, while Mike rode to Nezperce on his bike, I suggested to Bess that we take our walk. I really like to walk while Mike is out because after that long bike ride, he doesn’t need more exercise. And besides, it just seems like good use of time to walk while he’s away. But Bess had watched him load his bicycle into the Jeep and drive off, and I think she was watching for his return from her perch on the front porch.

Bess on rodent point
“Let’s go for a walk,” I called to her.
“No,” she called back. “You go ahead. I’ll stay here.”
“Come on,” I called, with a wave of my arm, just in case she didn’t get the message.
“Can’t you hear?” she called back. “I’m staying here.”
And so, it went, back and forth, as I approached the lane. She never did come, and I decided I didn’t want to go either if we weren’t accomplishing the afternoon constitutional. I would just have to go again later.

Of course, when Mike arrived home, Bess was eager for her walk.

Thursday and Friday were pleasant days. The sun spread warmth over the earth and a pleasant breeze blew. I caught up on the laundry, the only drawback being the puddle under the clothesline.

The hummingbirds are draining the feeders now. I’ve seen five at one time, which I figure means there are at least six, and Mike notes their differing characteristics. A house sparrow pecks Bess’ dog hair out of her porch pillow and carries it away to her nest. A little finch sat on the clothesline while I hung the laundry. Mike transferred a toad from his shed to the shady spot off the kitchen porch.
Canola

We have bigger animals, too. Three young whitetail buck moved into the yard on the south side of the house the other evening. I watched them from the utility room window, but I could tell they were up to no good – looking for something to munch, so I invited them to leave. They did, but I saw them again at the pond next morning.

A favorite scene

Mike had a close encounter with a group of elk on a recent neighborhood bike ride – two adults and a juvenile. Of course, we know they’re big animals, but Mike says that when they cross in front of you while you’re riding your bicycle, you suddenly realize how very big they are. I suspect they were as amazed by him as he was of them. KW


2 comments:

Chuck said...

I looks like farmer Kyle might have a sparse harvest this year. The plants look awfully small to be flowering. Might even have to watch for rocks in the combine--an unusual situation.

Kathy said...

Time will tell. I remember that the crop was sparse last time, and I don't remember at what point it bloomed. It seems to me it went on to grow taller after it bloomed.