Tuesday, June 23, 2020

MORE PANDEMIC NOTES





Many of us would like to feel that the pandemic is over so that we could relax vigilance. However, signs seem to indicate that we need to continue to be careful. My hairstylist remarked that she was cutting my hair extra short, commenting that we just don’t know – another shutdown may happen. 


Nothing is happening. “My life is boring,” I hear from a son, and while it may indeed be true, I have to think many of us feel that way at this time. Those events that used to break the routine of life aren’t happening. The world seems quiet.



Mike needed something at his favorite hardware store, so he tied on his mask and went in. When he went to pay, the cashier said, “Hi Mike!” He figures if he’s that recognizable, he’d better not adopt a life of crime.



Mike pulled weeds in our xeriscape every day for a week and then hauled a pick-up full of yard waste to the landfill. He says they no longer take cash. They passed a card reader out to him on a pole and he ran the card. I expect that’s a permanent change. We’ll likely see a lot of such changes.



Another change is the plexiglass dividers at cash registers. I think those are long overdue and here to stay. Front-line workers deserve whatever protection those provide.



Only two customers at a time may enter the UPS Store, so the line forms outside. Inside they have red tape on the floor, and the customer stands back while being served. I didn’t mind. I shipped the pastel to the museum in Idaho Falls yesterday. The store packed it for me. I appreciated the service. It only cost me $25 to donate the pastel. KW


4 comments:

Chris said...

Your life of crime comment totally cracked me up!!! Thanks for a good laugh out of this crazy time we're in.

M/W said...

Regarding the credit card method at the Landfill: Just discovered that you are charged extra for using the card even though you have no choice. Well, I guess since the government isn't supposed to make a profit all costs are passed on.

Chuck said...

You have a beautiful landscape around your house, thanks to the efforts of yourself and Mike.

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chuck, but I feel I can't take much credit. Mike is devoted to weeding, but beyond that, some plants love it there and have rewarded us by spreading, and that's exactly what we need. We hadn't anticipated that some would grow in the rocks, but whatever they like. Occasionally, we pull something out.