Friday, June 26, 2020

ARMCHAIR RESEARCH


Earle Dobson & Chas. McCoy

A few years ago, daughter Hallie went with me to the LCSC Library to research family history on microfilm. We were successful in accessing info when I knew dates. I thought it was a couple of hours well spent, but in the back of my mind, I knew I could find more if I could research by name. For that reason, I was interested when the archives of the Lewiston Morning Tribune became available online, opening successful research from the comfort of my armchair – for a price, of course.

At first, I wasn’t willing to pay the price, but recent events changed my mind. I needed to write a biography of my uncle, Earle Dobson, to submit with the pastel that I donated to the Museum of Idaho. I wondered if I could find anything about him in the Trib archives. I thought it was a long shot, but I took a subscription, and I wasn’t disappointed.
Earle & Vance Dobson

I discovered that in 1917, when Earle would have been 21, he was a senior at Lewiston High School. The country kids at Gilbert attended school through 8th grade at the one-room Dickson schoolhouse, but in order to continue their education, they had to go to town. In Earle’s case, apparently after a delay of some years, he enrolled at Lewiston High School. He probably roomed with relatives.

Earle
But in December of 1917, Earle dropped out of high school and enlisted in the Navy, and the Lewiston Superintendent of Schools, Frank W. Simmonds, wrote in the school news section of the Trib: “The high school regrets the loss of Earl Dobson, one of our seniors, who has joined the navy and is now in San Francisco. Earl was subject to the draft so could not wait for graduation.” I would guess that Earle decided to enlist in the Navy rather than await the possibility of being drafted. It is not clear if he graduated at this time.

Then, at LHS Commencement in May 1918, Earle was mentioned again. “Not only is the class the largest group to graduate in the history of the school,” Mr. Simmonds said, “but the fact that it is privileged to go out in this year of unparalleled opportunity makes the present commencement one of the greatest interest and solemnity. One member of the class, Irl Dobson, is already with the navy and others are to join in the near future.”
 
It seems to me that Mr. Simmonds was quite impressed with Earle (Earl, Irl), and why not? He was 21, an adult making adult decisions, and undoubtedly an engaged student with goals for his future. 


Watch for another post about Earle in the Navy. KW

4 comments:

Hallie said...

VERY interesting post! What do you think about the non-standard weaponry? Do you suppose those guys were just posing with their personal guns for the photo-op and that their military-issued guns were back on base?

Kathy said...

I didn't give the weaponry a second thought, but since you mention it, I do think that they posed with available guns. The picture was taken here on the farm. My sense is that the Navy guys don't march around with guns anyway. The guys in the photo are more or less goofing off, I think -- making the most of going off to war (maybe).

But -- parents didn't know if they would ever see their sons again, so I think the pictures were important. I have more.




Chris said...

Interesting how many different ways his name was spelled. Do you have a birth certificate for him to know the original?

I like your idea that they took pictures because they didn't know what was going to happen. We have pictures of Dad home on leave before going overseas as well as the day he left to join up. Such hard times for family.

Kathy said...

The story of Earle's name is in family lore, but I know he was named "Irl." He didn't like the uncommon spelling, and so he changed it to "Earl." Then that seemed too common to him, so he added an "e" on the end -- "Earle." In these high school articles, I see him referred to in all three ways, but anytime it's official, it's spelled "Irl." In 1922, when he and Bernice married, it's spelled "Irl." But he did have it legally changed to "Earle." I think Grandma Ina had a little difficulty adapting to the change.

I agree. Sending the young men off to war was terrible, especially for parents.