Monday, June 1, 2020

COOLING DOWN


Clarkston on the left, Lewiston on the right -- hazy due to inversion
At 3:00 a.m. Sunday, the anticipated storm finally hit right here in river city. The little men playing tenpins woke me up. The lightning flashes seemed constant while their bowling balls rolled over our roof and off into the distance. I couldn’t tell who was winning. In an hour's time, it rained .61 inch.

Agricultural land south of Lewiston
I got up and moved into the bathroom, thinking to check on Bess though I had no reason to worry about her. As I looked out the window towards the kennel, I couldn’t see it for the wall of water that was coming down from the roof, a situation I reported to Mike the Maintenance Manager as soon as he was up. He spent a good hour Sunday morning cleaning the gutters and downspouts. “Just think,” he said, “if you hadn’t looked out the window, no telling when I would have found out the downspouts were stopped up.”

Then I guess he was on a maintenance roll because he decided to adjust the refrigerator doors so they close “automatically,” and while he was at it, we cleaned under, over, behind and all sides of the refrigerator. I don’t think he was able to accomplish his original mission, but at least that corner of the house is clean.

Speaking of the problematic refrigerator, we turned it colder for the milk and dairy, and then the produce would freeze. Checking online for a solution, I found the suggestion to insulate the produce drawer. I had insulation from a box of specialty ice cream that family shipped to us, so I cut that to size, and it seems to work well.

A fun cache
It was hot – 95 or so – on Friday and Saturday, and today it might reach 80. Checking those weather apps again, it looks like it’s going to be a cool week. As an old Idaho gal, I know not to put the electric blanket away with the first wave of heat. The temperature can be up and down through June, sometimes longer. I remind myself that it would be well to bake cookies and weed while it’s cool.

The photos here are from a little jaunt into the countryside that the three of us took on Saturday to retrieve a geocache – a magnetic cache at a remote intersection. KW




4 comments:

Chris said...

Hmm, I take exception to the "old Idaho gal!" Experienced maybe, familiar with, but not old! It's June, and the cold mornings always remind me of our swimming lesson days. In my mind they were always first thing in the morning and it was cold! Turn our lips blue kind of cold. I shiver just to think of it!!

Kathy said...

I'm sorry. It was a regrettable momentary lapse. It won't happen again -- hopefully. Maybe I need to wear cuter shoes.

Yes, June can be cold, and those June mornings at the pool were cold. Mother was always afraid if I didn't take lessons with the first session, I would miss out.

Chris said...

Cute shoes make everything better AND keep us young!

Kathy said...

I think I know where you bought your latest pair(s). I just have to try on shoes, though, and I hate to return. I have a short foot with narrow heel and wide toes. European sizing doesn't work well for me. Anyway, with local "brick and mortars" closing, the options become fewer.