Monday, June 15, 2020

A STORY FOR A RAINY DAY


Rain and chilly temps continue. On Sunday we had some sunny breaks only to find the sky filling with dark clouds again. We turned back from our afternoon walk before we even reached the top of Plank’s Pitch and made it to the house just as it began to rain in earnest. No such luck today! We walked to the mailbox as it sprinkled, but that turned into pouring rain on the way back. We were drenched! It turns out my winter coat is NOT waterproof after all. 

We're mostly confined to the house, and Mike has farmhouse fever. He is proofing his written works while I spend time in the vintage sewing room. My little quilt top is finished, but the quilting didn't go well. I’ve already “unstitched in the ditch” and will take it back to town where I have better tools. Meanwhile, I cut out the daisy panel doll dress and have already finished the headband. That’s progress! And the cooler temps make it easy to keep working on my ever-growing, ever-warmer Hudson Bay "knock-off" afghan.

Meanwhile, I’ll tell you about this pastel, which turned up here in the farmhouse many years ago. Something happened to the frame, but it’s still protected by glass. Whether or not it is good artwork doesn’t concern me since the subject just isn’t my thing. A couple of years ago I decided that I should part with it, but how? It was signed “Hoff,” so that was my first research clue. Next, I peeked inside the backing and discovered a little clipping regarding an award received by Helen Hoff Aupperle. I googled her name and learned that she had been a respected artist and art teacher in Idaho Falls. Aha! This pastel had belonged to my Uncle Earle Dobson who also taught in Idaho Falls for many years. Uncle Earle had stored it here.  I also saw that appreciation for this work would likely be found in Idaho Falls.

Well, this has taken several years, but I have finally contacted the curator of the Museum of Idaho in Idaho Falls. As luck would have it, they are preparing an exhibit to which my donation will be a timely and welcome addition. On my next trip to town, I will arrange to have it packed and shipped. I feel that I’m doing the right thing, both for the artist and my uncle, and I’m glad that I'm doing it now. With the passing of more years, I’m not sure my family would have known enough to connect these dots. KW


3 comments:

Hallie said...

Interesting! Nick wanted to know the story about that piece and now he does.

Chris said...

Interesting story about the painting! I'm impressed with your tenacity and detective skills. I think I would have just chucked it. Who knows how many things of possible value (of various kinds) I have tossed. . .

How goes the doll dress? And I'm curious about Mike's "written works." His memoirs?

Kathy said...

I may wish I had chucked it by the time I pay for it to be packaged and shipped. We have probably all tossed things that someone would like to have had. On the other hand, we have things we just can't give away.

The daisy panel dress is coming along. The headband, shopping bag, and shrug are finished. I was disappointed in the shrug because I thought it was too small for Shirley Anne, but when she tried it on again this morning, it slipped right on.

Mike has compiled his motocaching blog posts into a book. He had copies printed for the family and is now considering broader outreach.