Friday, June 5, 2020

CHILLY BUSY DAYS


We hear rumors that it’s been hot in the valley, but it’s on the cool side here at the farm. In fact, early this morning we pulled up a second blanket, and now we have a fire in the fireplace. It would be a good day to bake.



During these last days of spring, the sun will warm us, but it competes with a cool breeze. The high has barely reached 70. In fact, we met up with Farmer Kyle on our afternoon walk the other day, and he expressed his wish for some heat to make things grow, but the forecast for at least the next ten days is for continued cool temps with some rain. 

My peas and spinach are quite happy, though, and my summer squash has poked through the soil even so. The rhubarb plants are healthy, and so are the strawberries. The cherry tree is full of cherries. Finally! The late-season lilacs are coming into bloom while the early ones fade away.



Yesterday I watched as Mr. and Mrs. Bird encouraged their fledglings to fly. They got as far as the fence on the raised bed, and there they sat – three or four young-uns complaining while mom and dad flew in and out. Occasionally one of the “teens” would take off. They appeared big enough to be learning this lesson. I wish them well.



I set out fresh nectar for the hummingbirds when we got here on Tuesday, but they aren’t much interested. They are going to have to do better, or it’s hardly worth the effort. As it is, I divide one cup of nectar between two feeders.



Mike and I have been fairly active – no lounging on the chaise or swinging on the hammock. Mike mowed and trimmed on Tuesday, made a long bike ride on Wednesday, and rode to Grangeville on his XT yesterday. (More about the purpose for his trip later.) I left the Miracle Grow on the back steps last week and it got wet, so in between hanging loads of laundry, I carried a dose of Miracle Grow to raised beds, young trees, and most plants until it was gone. I also planted short rows of leaf lettuce and carrots.



I made a start in the sewing room but met with some discouragement. I found it difficult to pick up where I left off on the doll quilt I was making.

“Then do something else,” said Mike.

“Don’t you think I should finish what I start?” I asked. He said I probably would eventually but for now I should do something I enjoy. I was glad to be let off the hook, so I began cutting out the pieces of the Tea Time Daisy Sundress while also squaring the little quilt blocks and fitting them together. Meanwhile, Mike has started a leather project – a scabbard for Yancey’s hunting knife.



This week we have spotted the occasional deer instead of that group of six or seven. Farmer Kyle said that the deer will nibble the canola while it’s young, which doesn’t really hurt it, but they won’t touch the mature plants. We’ve seen plenty of garter snakes but no rattlers yet.


They sprayed the canola fields yesterday. KW

5 comments:

Chuck said...

Sounds like you have really been busy this week. You have got to remember to call it canola. Probably all other descriptions would fit. You are much more active than we are, down in the heat (105). We are looking for a cool-down starting tomorrow. High of 75. That will be good.

Kathy said...

Hi Chuck! -- Haha! I fixed it. Remembering isn't always easy. Perhaps you know the feeling.

It's warmed up now -- 82 down at the barn in the sun. I will water the beds this afternoon.

Chris said...

The weather seems to change day by day. Air conditioning on one day, sweaters the next. Lots of thunder and lightning! Mostly I've just kept my head buried in books and come up for air to see what's happening outside and then dive into the next story. I have, however, made some headway in my sewing room cleanup and pondered, nay even started work on, my next project!

Chuck said...

Chris, what's your next project? Send us some of your lightning and rain!

Kathy said...

Chuck -- Chris is making baby bibs. She posted all about it on her own blog. Read it here: https://millerslastresort.blogspot.com/2020/06/and-in-sewing-room.html