Monday, March 30, 2020

A CHANGE OF PLANS


Raining


"Well, let’s talk of hard times some more. Isn’t it a most lovely mess we’re in? There comes to me in times like these a sort of spirit of battle. I feel it as a challenge to me to outwit circumstances . . .” – Ina Dobson, 1932

The forecast calls for a week or two of cold, wet, windy spring weather, so we decided not to go to the farm. Life is difficult on the farm when the weather is bad, so it's fine to stay in town.

Inclement / windy
The Tribune has a page of local businesses that remain open, and some of them aren’t so essential. We’ve been amazed at how many are open. Mike went by a sporting goods store this morning after physical therapy to pick up a two-pound weight, and yes, they were open. He said he was the only shopper there. I know – it’s a tough time for businesses.

Stormy
My grocery list is growing, but we’re still making do. In fact, I’m pleased to be innovative, using what we have on hand instead of running to the store. I made Spanish rice from a box (canned tomatoes added) to go with the pork roast on Saturday. Sunday, I added a little shrimp and some sausage to the leftover Spanish rice and called it a meal. There’s still a bit left, so tonight I’m stretching it with a half can of cannellini beans. Is this stretching necessary? Well – I don’t think we really know yet, so we play it safe. KW


1 comment:

Chris said...

Love the quote from Ina! It's that challenge we were talking about. It's a dull, wet, gray day here and while I'm content to read, snooze, knit and contemplate dinner (new pancake recipe and bacon), Dan on the other hand... But now he's downstairs watching Casablanca so hopefully he's entertained.