Tuesday, March 10, 2020

ADJUSTMENTS


The setting moon, March 9
As we moved back to daylight savings time on Sunday, Mike and I took a rather relaxed attitude. I meant to get out early to the grocery store, and it was 10:30 before I left the house. It seemed earlier. The afternoon disappeared quickly, and it was 5:00 when Mike suggested we walk the dog. It seemed earlier. By the time I started supper, it was late by the clock, and then I watched in horror as the crust of my quiche burned while the middle took its sweet time setting up. (I did not give that recipe a positive review.) It was after 7:00 when I finally had supper on the table. It was after 8:00 when I was finally showered and ready for bed. It seemed earlier, and I was angry that it was late. The only thing we did by the clock was to go to bed at 9:30, and I wasn’t ready to sleep.

On Monday I decided I had had enough of playing to the inner clock and making concessions. I determined to go strictly by the clock. I was up at 6:00 while it was still dark. Mike was up before 7:00, and when he went out to get Bess, he noticed the moon setting in the west. I caught the photo above just as it disappeared over the hill.

“What time is supper?” asked Mike.
“6:30,” was my emphatic reply.  

And the weekend was difficult in another way. Our neighbors of 15 years – they moved in about six months after we moved to this house – have gone their separate ways and sold the house. The move has been coming on for a year, so it’s not like it's a surprise, but the adjustment hits us now. They won’t be coming and going any more. We will miss them.

Life is full of changes – some big, some little, some recurring (like the time changes). KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

Well, you already know how I feel about the time change. I read in the paper that 90% of people are against the constant change. Will anyone hear us?? I'm still out of kilter and probably will be for a few more days.

Kathy said...

"Out of kilter" -- a good way to put it. Hallie and Chuck both weighed in to say they don't like the dark mornings and would prefer standard time. I don't think that's going to happen, but we seem to inch closer to permanent DST.