Tuesday, March 31, 2020

RESTLESSNESS


Everything looks different when you look at it from Robinson Crusoe’s standpoint, surrounded by a sea of depression, and things show up at a more real value. We appreciate the actual values of things. – Ina, 1932

When we hear about the Covid-19 situation in Seattle or watch transfixed as Gov. Cuomo makes dire predictions for the coming weeks in New York and elsewhere, it seems like we in southeastern Washington and north central Idaho live in another world. Because the number of cases is overall so low, it’s hard to believe there’s a pandemic someplace.

Nevertheless, when I hear about it, I just want to gather my children around me. “No, you cannot go to work today,” I would say. “Color your pictures, and this afternoon we’ll bake cookies and go for a walk.” But, you know, they’re 40 (plus and minus), so all I can do is echo Ina’s sentiments as penned to her son:
“Yours as ever to the last and all the love in the world.” KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

Love Ina's closing words in the letter to your dad. Yes, we hope and pray for our loved ones all the time, but especially during these times. And I loved your thoughts of coloring, walks and cookies. How ever did time pass so swiftly? Ah, but we do have those memories of days like that!

Kathy said...

Not only did those years pass swiftly, but it has now been a long time ago. We still remember, though.

Kids are kids, they used to say, and I didn't think raising kids changed so much from generation to generation. But I'm glad I'm not raising them today, what with decisions about the handling of digital devices, etc.