Thursday, March 19, 2020

QUICK TRIP TO THE FARM


Ready to go to the farm
We were off to the farm by 9:00 – not early. Since we were trailering the lawnmower and Mike wanted to avoid as much mud as possible, we traveled Hwy 95 to Craigmont, turning onto the Russell Ridge Road at Nezperce. Traffic was relatively light, I thought. We arrived at the farm about 10:30. I remember because I had to set clocks. It was about 40 degrees.

Fritillaria on left; hollyhock on right
There were no mice in traps and no obvious sign of mice in the kitchen. I’d like to think that Hallie’s work – stuffing steel wool under the siding where it meets the foundation – was beneficial in this regard. In fact, I’m sure it was. She worked so hard! It was her idea. Not sure I would have done it.

The outside rodent situation is a different story. I didn’t see a lot of new mounds, but I did see plenty of rather large holes. I feel I have yet to win a battle. The war will continue.

Everything was as we left it after Christmas. (At first, we thought the big cathedral chimes had gone missing, but we located them.)

Mike checked on things outside while I inventoried the pantry. I was pleased to see I have quite a lot of staples on hand, which will make it easier to replenish what we need. I’m sure your first thought is for our toilet paper supply. Yes, we have enough for several weeks. I even found a big container of disinfectant wipes.

There’s still standing water in some fields, but of course, it’s early yet. However, I’m not sure it’s really all that wet. In past years it’s been June before the standing water behind the farmhouse dries up, but I could walk there yesterday. I also noticed patches of dry soil elsewhere.

We were there just an hour. Mike waited for me in the car while I ran around the perimeter of the house taking pictures, concentrating on the immediate signs of spring – the daffodils and fritillaria.

The mailbox was packed with catalogs and junk mail, but there were a couple of important envelopes – a second key for the Dodge Ram (unexpected) and the census for the farmhouse (expected). I have now completed our census documents. How about you?

Just one remaining patch of snow
We drove home by way of the grade and Hwy 12, stopping at Subway on Orofino’s Riverside for sliders. They were out of slider buns, so we shared a 6-inch. We stop at this Subway from time to time, but the products are not as fresh as at other Subways in the region.


We stopped at Builders Supply for an "O" ring, and I also bought garden seeds. I checked out the business next door, Family Dollar. Like all other stores, they were out of toilet paper as well as disinfectant sprays and wipes.

We were back in town by 3:00 – a lovely afternoon at 60 degrees.

1 comment:

Chuck said...

Yea! Snow on the grass. Spring is coming.