Sunday, March 22, 2020

CRAFTING WHILE SHELTERING IN PLACE



Email promotions imply that I’m bored and need help to deal with sheltering in place. “Rest assured,” they say, “we’re here to help.”
“Make a quilt. Get your pattern and fabric here.”
“Crochet an afghan or a shawl. Get your yarn from us.”
Or, others suggest I work in the yard, clean a closet, or clean the whole house. As adults, do we need help to know what to do at home? To be fair, son Clint pointed out that life could be much different for city-dwellers.

But, speaking for myself, I have enough projects on hand to keep me busy for the rest of my life. I’ve had an afghan kit in my closet for 25 years, back when I was in my pansy phase, not to mention stashes of yarn and fabric available for whatever project crosses my rather obsessive mind – mostly doll clothes.

And all those projects on hold don’t take into account the ones I’ll hatch up just sitting here. Recently, I was inspired to make pincushions out of leftover teacups. This is somewhat reasonable because I need several pincushions. Here's a work in progress -- one of Grandma Ina's old stray teacups fashioned into a pincushion.

The point is that since I’m a retiree anyway, day-to-day life just is not all that different than usual.

Yesterday, I spent half a day trying to decide if I should make face masks for medical service providers. After researching, I decided not to join that effort. If I knew for sure that local medical facilities requested it and provided the guidelines, I might help, but I’m afraid I’d devote hours to it only to have them dumped. It seems that the homemade ones are not as good as the standard “PPE” surgical masks. KW

1 comment:

Chris said...

Your teacup pincushion is cute! What a clever idea. You could even glue a saucer to the bottom to hold spools of thread, etc. I, too, have chuckled of the emails offering to sell us things to keep us busy. They should know if we already buy from them that we have plenty to keep us busy already!