Monday, March 23, 2020

TO SHOP – OR MAYBE NOT


"Swallows Nest"

Yesterday I mentioned online retailers tempting me to buy fabric and yarn. Today, four of them say they are closing their warehouses for the duration – one in Michigan, one in New Jersey, and two in Washington state. I’m sorry for the situation they are in, but fortunately, I had the foresight to stock up in advance. Oh! If skeins of yarn were rolls of TP.
By listening to short news updates on the radio, I’ve avoided becoming emotionally embroiled in the speculative, scary nature of the covid-19 situation, but last night we watched a program on CNN about this world pandemic. It was sobering. After an hour of discussion, mostly from medical professionals knowledgeable about the big picture, I decided to go to bed so that I didn’t have to keep watching it.

Daffodils at the local Grange Hall
In our area, the issue of sheltering in place is complicated. Washington state’s governor mandated statewide shutdowns even though the situation here on the rural east side is very different from the urban west side. Even though the virus has yet to be identified here, I appreciate the shutdowns because it removes from the individual the burden of decision. In Idaho, just across the river from us, the attitude is more relaxed. For instance, businesses such as gyms, restaurants, and salons are still operating in Idaho and “sheltering in place” is seen as a personal option. Of course, each one of us needs to be responsible, but if businesses remain open, it implies the individual is free to participate.

Apple trees bloom, a sign that the world should go on
I had planned to shop at Albertsons during the senior hours Tuesday morning, but after talking with brother Chuck, who lives in Utah, I’m having second thoughts. He related that aging shoppers were lined up at the door during senior hours at his grocery store, and when he finally got in, they were out of products he wanted. He reported (rather gleefully, I thought) that he had scored the last package of unbleached flour. He said he would rather take his chances shopping the regular hours. And that’s “food for thought.”

Our children are encouraging us to go to the farm, and I had thought I would get more groceries before we leave town – topping off again, as it were. The thing is, I just don’t know if it’s necessary. As it is now, it would be a long time before we’d starve, but it might be nice to have more milk and fresh vegetables. Perishables are always going to be the need, though – that and toilet paper, of course. Going now while the community is still clear of the virus (we think) does not mean we won’t need to go later.

The photos here were taken on today’s geocaching excursion. KW

1 comment:

Chris said...

I've seen pictures of the lines during "senior hours" and I'm not inclined to go, at least not until some of the newness of this has worn off. Dan ventured out a few days ago and found some extra flour for me. Usually I have tons of it in the freezer because I buy when my favorite King Arthur flour is on sale, but for some reason I only had five extra pounds which wouldn't last me long at all. I'm grateful to have some extra now.