Wednesday, March 18, 2020

MUSINGS OF A HOMEBODY


Here in rural southeastern Washington state, we are under the same stringent rules that apply to the Seattle area, even though the virus has yet to be identified here. We’re basically the same community as Lewiston, Idaho, and over there, things continue to be a little more relaxed. However, of course, federal guidelines make it a state of emergency everywhere, and we should all exercise caution.

Here’s how Mike and I are impacted today:
·      The aquatic center where Mike exercises is closed.
·      Our yoga group has been cancelled until further notice. (Mike says I’ll be leading our home sessions now.)
·      P.E.O. meetings and gatherings are cancelled until at least May (and also this year’s state and international conventions).
·      All Washington hair salons are ordered closed. (I politely declined Mike’s offer to cut my hair.)
And – the school bus has ceased to go by at 7:28 a.m. and 2:53 p.m. Even though we aren't involved with the schools, I miss the structure that the school bus give my day.

I don’t know when I’ve ever washed my hands so much. Chapping is a problem. The cracks on my palms have healed, but now the backs are cracking. I hate to use lotion during the day when I’m just washing it off again, but I guess I have to. I have plenty of soap and plenty of lotion.

My email contacts seem to think I’m stuck at home with nothing to do, suggesting everything from making a quilt or afghan to cleaning the house. As far as I’m concerned, it’s just business as usual.  

Mike got up Tuesday morning, swallowed his apple juice, and went to Walmart for motor oil. He said he didn’t come within six feet of anyone, but I sent him to wash his hands anyway. He reported that there were plenty of shoppers at that early hour.
 
When the world is allowed to run again, I wonder what will have changed. No one knows, of course, but I think this won’t leave us where it found us, as the old saying goes. Time will tell. 

Tomorrow, I'll report on today's trip to the farm. KW

5 comments:

Chris said...

No haircuts?!? Oh my, I have an appointment for Monday afternoon at home. I wonder. . .

Kathy said...

Washington has closed all hair salons. I think they're still open in Idaho.

Hallie said...

I do the rigorous hand washing if I've been out of the house. When I'm just home all day, I do the normal amount of hand washing. Don't worry, I'm clean.

Chuck said...

You must have inherited your chapped hands from your Dad. When I was young and working on the farm, I had to do all the greasy work because cleaning the grease off his hands made them crack and even bleed. That's how come I learned to do all the mechanical stuff.

Chuck said...

Although we are pretty much home bound, the local grocery stores have made 7 a.m. to 8 a.m. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday a time for seniors only for shopping. Starts tomorrow. I'm going to try it out.