Monday, March 2, 2020

IS IT AN EPIDEMIC OR NOT?


Bare shelves at a Seattle grocery store
The present concern for the development of the “novel coronavirus” reminded me of the great swine flu epidemic of 1918. It was before my time, of course – because it was mostly before everyone’s time – but my parents remembered it and spoke about it from time to time. My mother was about eight at the time, and her family didn’t get sick, but she remembered helping her mother deliver food to the sick and quarantined.

And what did they do to protect themselves? Mother said she wore garlic around her neck, which probably didn’t do much good except maybe to keep others from coming too close, unless they were wearing garlic, too. Who knows? Maybe it worked.

So far, we have not curtailed our activities on account of the present virus scare, but a state of emergency has been declared for Washington state due to illness events in the Seattle area. Thinking the day might come when we wouldn’t want to venture out, Mike and I shopped for a few groceries. I really think we have enough food on hand so that we wouldn’t starve in the foreseeable future, but the issue might not be illness so much as the lack of available goods due to panic, whether or not it’s warranted.

The above picture was taken by son-in-law Nick at a Seattle grocery store on Sunday (March 1). Looks like shoppers anticipate the need for broth. I guess that makes sense. 

My P.E.O. chapter is sponsoring its annual rummage sale this coming weekend. Preparations continue. KW

4 comments:

Chris said...

I think that while it can be serious for people with other health problems, the media is fueling much of this. And it's working.

Kathy said...

It's hard to know what to do, but this weekend I'm at the rummage sale and no one there is talking about it. I just keep washing my hands.

Chris said...

Yup! That's what seems to be the most important thing to do.

Kathy said...

Hallie works for Amazon in Seattle, and they have been told to work from home until the end of the month. I'm relieved she doesn't have to ride the bus.