Wednesday, April 1, 2020

ALL’S QUIET ON THE HOME FRONT


March becomes April with billowy white clouds against blue sky
Well, dearest, don’t worry over us. We’ll make it all right. I don’t intend to do without food and decent clothes and plenty of light such as it is. 
– Ina, 1935


Today’s paper announces no new reported cases in local health districts. They now suspect that the virus has been here for some time but unreported. We are to continue physical distancing.

Mike had a meeting late yesterday afternoon which took place through Zoom. Since he was busy, I took care of Bess’ evening routine (or she took care of mine), and then I settled into my accustomed place on the loveseat. That’s when I felt a slight motion, sort of a shifting sensation. It was so slight that I thought it was my imagination. Two minutes later, Boise son messaged that they had just experienced tremors there. And as I answered him, Lewiston son texted that they thought they had felt an earthquake – enough to shake their chandelier a bit. Later we learned that the epicenter of the quake was in the wilderness area north of Boise. Many in the region felt it. (But Mike didn’t.)

Hope springs eternal
We miss having bananas, so I’m thinking seriously about a trip to the store. My list is well-organized for a mad dash around the store. I will definitely wear disposable gloves (I found several packages in my stash of cleaning supplies), but I’m undecided about the mask. Evidently the jury is still out on whether it’s worthwhile to wear a home-sewn mask. Some say it will at least keep you from touching your face, while one authority said that if it’s uncomfortable, you’ll touch your face even more. KW

3 comments:

Chris said...

New bananas landed at my house yesterday after Dan's early morning shop. I have been using the last over-ripe ones in smoothies and they taste so good! Funny what we take for granted until we can't.

Hallie said...

I read about the earthquake--figured Milo would feel it, but I'm surprised you felt it all the way up to the Valley! Sometimes I imagine that I'm feeling an earthquake, but it's just a big truck rumbling down the busy street a block over.

Kathy said...

Chris and Dan felt it in Moscow. They even felt it in Spokane! It was a fairly big quake -- 6.5 or something. Good thing it happened in the wilderness.