Thursday, April 30, 2020

ONE THING LEADS TO ANOTHER


Golden sunlight reflects on the hillside during the storm

Recent temps hint that things are moving toward summer. Yesterday (Wednesday, April 29), it was 85 or so, and last night we had thunder, lightning, and rain. A close thunderclap at 1:15 a.m. jarred us awake, and today we have more rain.

Finished wood racks
Our plan was to return to the farm on Tuesday (April 28), but every day, something happens to keep us in town – a project, a meeting, a rescheduled appointment, delivery of a package, and now a motorcycle ride on Saturday. When not otherwise occupied with scheduled activities, Mike is making wood racks for the pickup and refurbishing an old rocking chair. 

A room cries for help
I think the stay in town is God’s way of telling me She really wants me to straighten up my sewing room, a project I can hardly face. Yes, it’s that bad. I’ve had to push many projects aside. It’s not so bad that I can’t do it, of course. It just forces me to make decisions, and I guess I have to be in the mood for that.  

“What about the early start with your spinach crop at the farm,” you ask. Well, I’ll still plant it, and if it doesn’t like it, I’ll just buy spinach. We’ve all done it, after all.

Mike’s Tuesday meeting was on Zoom, the videoconferencing app, now more familiar to the average person because of the pandemic. Even though this was Mike’s meeting, I became involved because he planned to use one of my devices, and I decided “we” needed more info. Daughter Hallie, who serves as my tech, said she could take the time to help me, so we set up Zoom on my iPad, which has camera and microphone. Mike’s participation didn’t exactly go off without a hitch, but we’re learning. He said the participants’ names showed as they spoke, but his said, “Kathy’s iPad.”

I shopped Albertsons again Wednesday morning. Yes, I know – I just went last week, but I had a list, and honestly, I’m not afraid of Albertsons – and they need me, too! Arriving at the store, I cleaned my hands, tied on my mask, and also cleaned a cart with a sanitizing wipe. The routine to enter the store is regimented but friendly.

Iris blooms in town
Mornings are quiet at Albertsons. Social distancing is not a problem. Several times I had to patiently stand back and wait while another shopper took her time making a decision. Crossing paths with other shoppers is an interesting experience. Some take it in stride while others glare. Some duck and look away; others chuckle and shrug. Stock is gradually being replenished, but now the meat shortage is obvious.

I would say 80% of shoppers wore masks. One shopper had gloves but no mask. Guess she didn’t get the memo about the gloves. I was glad to take my mask off when safely back in the car. Seems like this coronavirus is determined to keep us from breathing normally one way or the other. KW

3 comments:

Chris said...

Your sewing room looks a lot like mine right now. I thought about a full-scale sort out, but instead I decided I needed to finish that Valentine table runner. Then, in a virtuous fit, I shall clean. How go your thoughts on the matter?

Kathy said...

Haha! I have a lot of thoughts on the matter. What I need is action.

My thoughts are that I must organize this mess before I begin to sew. Perhaps it's not as bad as I think. I just need to start someplace.

Your message has encouraged me, Chris. Somehow I don't feel so alone. Thank you.

Chris said...

You are welcome! Glad I was able to help. (Mine is still a mess! Virtuous fit still to come.)