Thursday, April 23, 2020

STORMY WEATHER


Seeding in the Rain
Wednesday (April 23) was overcast but pleasant. I washed our very dirty wood-getting clothes, and then I set about my outdoor work. I weeded and fertilized my two rhubarb plants before lunch. After lunch I weeded and fertilized the raised beds, and then Mike tilled them with the little electric tiller we inherited. The sky grew more ominous-looking by the hour, so about 3:00, I put away my garden tools and took the still damp clothes off the line. A light rain commenced.

Rhubarb -- growing rapidly
At 4:00 this morning, a storm blew in. It poured rain with strong wind gusts. The storm abated but rain and breeziness continued. Once we were both up and around, we considered the forecast for unsettled weather and decided to return to town rather than sit around the farmhouse. Besides, we’re out of milk and bread.

It was a little disappointing that I didn’t plant the spinach, but on the other hand, I’ve prepared the beds well, and the rain will provide needed moisture. And it’s still early.

Raised beds ready for planting
Ducks (blue bills) and geese are frequenting the pond. I haven’t tried to photograph them because I don’t want to scare them off. The rooster pheasant is still here. We saw two garter snakes – a small one and a large one – as we worked the raised beds. No rattlers yet. Plenty of deer. 


Seeding

The farmers had begun seeding our south fields late in the morning, and they continued even in the rain. I suppose they left about 6:00. It will be a day or two before they return, I think. 


This is the time of year when the vegetation changes rapidly – almost before our eyes. I can hardly wait to see what’s in bloom with our next trip to the farm. 



(P.S. In today's mail we found our first 2021 free calendar, from an organization we don't even support.) KW

3 comments:

Chris said...

Wow! That's an early calendar. We get only a couple in the mail. I love the calendars Lang Graphics makes and Dan gets me one every year for Christmas. My favorite artist for the last few years has been Susan Winget.

Hallie said...

I typically do some leafy greens in the raised bed, but by the time I have the motivation to plant the garden, I'm actually getting a late start, which means the spinach bolts in the heat and is floppy if I don't pick it in the morning. But why would I pick it in the morning? I don't eat salads for breakfast. So this year we're doing something different! Nick knew about the Three Sister's method of farming, so we're doing corn, then beans that will grow up the corn stalks and squash to grow at the corners of the bed. We're also trying some peas from seeds that I'm pretty sure I've used two years in a row. It's always a gamble whether the sprouts will even have a chance before the birds get to them. We bought some big pots for a steal at Grocery Outlet and will do tomatoes in one of them. I'd like to grow Roma tomatoes and can our own sauce. I've never really canned anything but preserves.

Kathy said...

I love those Lang calendars, too, Chris. I buy myself an engagement calendar for my birthday every year. For years I used Marjoline Bastin. (At first they were published by Hallmark and then by Lang.) But this year I stepped outside the box and bought a strange Disney / Thomas Kinkaide. (I never know when my whimsical side will kick in.) I have quite a stack now, and I hate to get rid of them, but I don't refer to them again.

I can hardly wait to hear how your garden turns out, Hallie. I wonder if you'll need to fertilize rather heavily. I planted corn the year you were married -- 2009. That summer we took a spur of the moment trip to Mississippi, and when we got home, the corn had died. As you know, Daddy grew a patch of corn on the farm, but in his time, the deer didn't run there so freely. If I tried to grow corn unfenced, the deer would obliterate it before it had a chance.

I think spinach will have a chance if I plant it soon, but it's true that it doesn't tolerate the heat.