Sunday, April 19, 2020

MORE WORK AT THE FARM

                                                     
Daffodils bloom in the grove
Some years back we discussed “pandemic readiness” on this blog, and we imagined getting together here at the farm to “weather the storm.” Chris said she would bring peanut butter and chicken broth. I didn’t foresee that when the crisis occurred, we would be physically distancing. Wouldn’t it be so nice to get together? But we know it’s exactly what we shouldn’t do. Even though I’m relatively certain most everyone I know has “stayed safe,” I suppose if we’ve been to the grocery store, we don’t really know.


You’re gonna laugh when I tell you this, especially since I said in the previous post that I wasn’t onboard with making more masks. Just after I pushed “publish” on that post, son Clint called to say he thought he would need a mask for work, so Friday, I made masks for him and his family. I was happy to do it for them. I have now made 13. Some people have made hundreds. I’m thinking of making a few more, just in case someone should need one.

2002 Dodge Ram
So, Saturday morning (April 18) we drove back to the farm, bringing two onions, a jar of peanut butter, and a 2020 wall calendar, among other things. We came in Mike’s “new” used old pick-up, a 2002 Dodge Ram, so that we could carry a bicycle and a ladder. I think it’s about the best old truck Mike has ever had. At least this one feels safe. We are old technology people, and this pick-up is old technology compatible. Even so, we still aren’t sure how to tune the radio or adjust the passenger side mirror. Mike invited Bess to ride in the front seat, since she was a little crowded in the “back seat.” She gave me a few kisses and then snuggled onto my lap.

The mousetrap in the kitchen had been tripped, but the mouse escaped. We brought more traps with us. We did not see new rodent activity in the yard, but one must remain vigilant.

The daffodils are still blooming. They delight my heart. Early lilac varieties are blooming in town. It will be several weeks before they begin to bloom here.

Yesterday, Mike pruned the maple tree as best he could. The ladder proved impractical, so he stood in the bed of the pick-up. Then I helped him gather limbs and twigs and carry them to the burn pile at the pond. 


A haze settles over the land

There was a fire somewhere yesterday – probably a controlled burn. I noticed the haze in the canyon first, and then it crept across the fields. KW

3 comments:

M/W said...

I later confirmed the fire was a controlled one the Little Canyon Shooting Preserve did on their pheasant planting fields. It's all black now. First time I've ever been aware of their doing that.

Chris said...

Well, you can still count on me for the peanut butter, but I've switched to Better Than Bullion, reduced sodium chicken base instead of all those cans. :-) See, I can travel light these days!! :-) If it comes to that, we might as well stick together or go together!!

Kathy said...

I, too, use Better Than Buillon (as well as some other brands). I actually think it's tastier. The cans get to me, too.

You know -- just bring whatever you have, and we'll make it work.