Tuesday, April 7, 2020

HELLO FROM ISOLATION


 

We were off for the farm about 9:00 yesterday morning (Monday, April 6). For once, we reviewed the list with each other before leaving the house instead of as we traveled along, but we had done a good job of packing. (At least, we thought so; you always miss a few things – like the onion.) I brought my sewing machine but we didn’t have room for my project box. That needs some organizing anyway. IF I have time to work with my hands, I might crochet.

We had packets to mail, so as we drove into town, I suited up in mask and gloves. “Only four people waiting in the lobby at one time,” read a sign on the door. And to tell you the truth, even that’s a little close in that lobby. However, I didn’t have to worry about it since I was the only patron there. Plexiglas now shields the clerk from the public, and that’s great. The clerk complained that no one would leave her alone so that she could get her work done, but otherwise we were polite.
 
Traffic on the highway is light now, and the trip up the Clearwater was pleasant. The serviceberry trees are in bloom – at least I think that’s what they are – and I love to see those feathery white trees. The spring bloom occurs about two weeks earlier in the valley than on our ridge. It’s a joy to be here at the farm while the daffodils are in bloom. I often miss daffodil season.

Once we had unpacked, I set to work in the house while Mike spent the afternoon spraying Pramitol (weed inhibitor) on the lane. He used the mask I made him and gave it a positive review.

Mike opened the cistern and found a frog staring up at him from the water. He tried to remove it, but then it disappeared altogether. The water level is not as high as in past years, which is true also of the pond.

Bess and I walked around the pond mid-afternoon. It appeared to me that Blaze the horse had spent time at the green apple tree on the far side. We have not seen old Blaze and hope that we won’t. To my surprise, Bess scared up a rooster pheasant on the east side of the pond, and he went winging and cackling southward toward the canyon.

We had creamed tuna on leftover homemade hamburger buns for supper. We always think of creamed tuna as a simple supper, but it does require standing and stirring. Nevertheless, it was my idea, so I followed through. I was pleased to find a mix for lemon squares, which became dessert.

That beautiful moon is a supermoon. I understand that the moon is closest to the earth at this time and also full. KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

Mmmm, lemon bars! I think I have a box mix, too, and I might need to make them right away! We've almost made it through a small pan of brownies, so something new makes sense (she said most seriously). The moon was so lovely! Glad you are all settled in, even the frog! :-)

Kathy said...

I have several recipes for lemon bars in my file, but in my tired state, I was glad to find a mix.

We are settling in more every day, but I still find things to do everywhere I look.