Monday, April 13, 2020

BACK TO TOWN

A familiar scene
We spent a week at the farm and drove back to town this morning. Before we left the farm, I changed the bed – one chore I won’t have to do when we return – while Mike fiddled with the wall furnace in the dining room. Something is wrong with it, and he’d like to fix it himself rather than pay for a service call.


 I was proud of the packing job I did, too. I only left my hot tea behind. Oh yes! I can prepare it and then just walk off and leave it there!

The lilacs will bloom
Back in town, I found the onion I left behind waiting on the counter, apparently none the worse for wear. I had to cook creatively this week without that onion. We even considered driving into the store in Nezperce, but I said we should make do.

We also found about a half dozen packages – things Mike had ordered, mostly relating to cycling. He’s going to attempt to install electronic shifters on one of his bicycles.




Rhubarb - I can taste the cake now.
Friday afternoon, I cleaned the strawberry bed and thinned some of the plants while Mike sat on the back steps refinishing a gun stock. I even did a little weeding in the next raised bed. Both rhubarb plants are coming back (yay!) but need weeding and fertilizer.

The wind blew and it turned cold! How cold? Cold enough that the wall heaters in the bedroom came on automatically during the night, and that’s cold! The lows Sunday and Monday (today) were below freezing. Well, children, I remember many a cold Easter. As Mother planned my Easter dress, she would worry a little if I would be warm enough. Sometimes I was, other times not.

Tick season has begun! Mike and Bess did some exploring down Stove Creek on Saturday, and afterwards we found ticks on Bess. We had some “Bio-Spot” in the cupboard, which Mike applied to her back.

We have a big grocery list, and we’ll tackle that tomorrow. KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

Yup, the cold weather is back, that's for sure, along with the wind. I have a sweater on but it only has 3/4 sleeves and I'm thinking I need to put on something else. I'm kind of excited for a garden this year--all Dan's usual spring/June work has been cancelled so I'm hoping we can get a start on the garden and actually have more than zucchini. Maybe some green beans and beets. I'd love to be able to grow tomatoes, maybe we can try pots. Anyway, I'm hopeful!!

Kathy said...

There's something besides zucchini? I didn't even get much of that last year. My raised beds are on the south side of the house where it gets pretty hot. And if the heat doesn't take it, the deer and the rodents are a challenge. Home-grown tomatoes are just the best, but I think it's too hot for them. And then we leave for a week or ten days and leave them without care.

Anyway, since we're starting earlier this year, I hope for a good crop of spinach. Last year I planted way more lettuce than we could use. Lesson learned. I also have beet and carrot seeds.

I wish you all the best with your gardening.