Saturday, April 4, 2020

CONTAGION – BACK IN THE DAY


Mike and I watched an old American Experience program, “The Polio Crusade,” the other night. Children were first immunized with the Salk vaccine in 1953, and as the push to immunize all children ramped up, some received live vaccine, a terrible mistake, and contracted polio as a result. As young as I was, I was well aware of at least two children in my community who were infected through the vaccine.

Sister Joni told me that Mother was skeptical of the vaccine and would not allow us to be immunized in the first group. She was right, said Joni, and we were lucky.

With my parents, c. 1954
You also have to remember that in that era – the ‘50s and before – we were not immunized against the childhood diseases. Immunization was a new idea. We built up our immunity through the actual disease. I had the measles when I was five, chicken pox when I was seven, and mumps when I was eight. We took these things in stride. If you were going to school you would eventually be exposed. We might know which kid came down with it first, but it didn’t matter. The fact that he brought this disease to school did not constitute a moral lapse on his part. If you escaped the infection this time around, there was always next year. Sooner or later, you would have it, and it was thought best that you get it out of the way while you were young. (The childhood diseases were hardest on adults.)

By 1955, when I was in first grade, polio immunization was more or less mandated, I think. I remember carrying a mimeographed note home from school which stated that students would be immunized against polio in the gym on such and such a date. No, said Mother. Instead, she made an appointment, and Dr. Pappenhagen himself immunized me. (To be fair, I think Dr. Pappenhagen also immunized the kids in the gym.)

So, I was excluded from the line-up of children that marched off to the gym for their immunizations on that fateful day. I sat quietly at my table with two or three others, who, for whatever reason, were also excluded from this experience. I knew what was going to happen to my classmates, and I was glad that mine was over and that my mother had been with me. I didn’t cry, but don’t let anyone tell you it doesn’t sting a bit.

Well, I was only six, but I remember it like it was yesterday. KW

3 comments:

Chris said...

You have a much better memory of our first grade year! (I mostly remember having to stand behind my chair for talking and getting my foot caught in my chair during reading group and tipping over which resulted in my getting busted back a group.) I remember getting the sugar cubes even though I knew I'd gotten the shot, but everyone lined up to get those cubes--even Dad. I just read an article that back in the day getting polio ranked right beside nuclear war in the fear department.

Hallie said...

I've never seen that photo. It is precious!

Kathy said...

Hi Chris! You only had to stand behind your chair for talking? Mrs. Bonner came down on me in one fell sweep and put me in the corner! Mother said that I would be the first to challenge the rules, but my memory is that I simply forgot -- wasn't taking it seriously. Oh yes, and how we aspired to be in that highest reading group. It took me a while to earn that. And I remember the cubes, too, but I think I was well-inoculated before those came out.

Hi Hallie! That photo is a slide that Uncle Porkie took. The occasion is obviously Easter. I have no memory of it and I don't know where it was taken. Unfortunately, those old slides are somewhat degraded. It does say something about the times, though. We are dressed for the occasion -- all of us. Mother made my dress, which was pink and white. (I remember that only because she made a matching one for my doll.) And everything was new, right down to the underwear. Note the hat and purse.