Wednesday, April 8, 2020

ANOTHER DAY IN ISOLATION


I didn’t work so hard today (Tuesday), but I spent a lot of time on my feet and felt just as tired. I found a recipe that Mother had saved for batter bread and gave it a try, but it didn’t rise. Then I tried to save it, but that didn’t work either, so I just baked it the way it was. Fortunately, I’m blessed with a husband who seems to like failures as well as successes. I will try again, but I’m not sure it’s good to waste resources on failures. (My supplies would not be low under normal circumstances, but I’m not sure I can replenish.)

Ken called to say tick season has begun in the valley. And Mike went to open a door upstairs, and a wasp on the underside stung him on the palm of his right hand. Not a big deal, he said – just another little pain. He applied a poultice of baking soda and water, which gave immediate relief.

Darned if we aren’t low on peanut butter! Man! How can that have happened? But – while I was searching for another non-existent jar, I discovered four boxes of Sure-Gel, a jar of classic pectin, AND a box of regular lids and rings hiding in the back of the top shelf. I wondered what happened to that stuff! I KNEW I had bought it. That’s NOT where they belong. Thinking I was losing my mind, I repurchased, so now I have plenty, but fortunately they don’t expire anytime soon.

Mike had just remarked that he hadn’t seen any deer when he saw several in the south field. KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

Peanut butter is a necessity at our house and we usually have at least three extra jars. But then, we only live in one house. I feel your pain!

Kathy said...

Mike loves peanut butter, but I usually buy one large jar at a time. He likes crunchy and I prefer creamy, but for convenience, I started eating crunchy. However, I DO prefer creamy for cookies, and I did find a practically new (but about to expire) jar of creamy in the cupboard, so I made some of those flourless peanut butter cookies. If all we have is creamy peanut butter, Mike will do without. His choice.