Thursday, April 2, 2020

LEAVING THE HOUSE FOR GROCERIES


Hand sanitizer – check
Disinfectant wipes – check
Gloves – check
Grocery list – check

We all know we should just stay home, and yet, some going out seems essential.

At 7:58 a.m., we set off for groceries. We chose Albertsons because there would be fewer shoppers. We were there during those hours designated for the elderly and at risk, but that wasn’t our goal. We just wanted to get it done early.

We stepped out of the car and donned gloves but not masks. I felt as though I were preparing for battle. “I’m goin’ in!”

I was surprised by what we found – or rather, didn’t find – at Albertsons. I expected to see the shelves well-stocked again, but if they had been, they were once again depleted.
·      Bread – about half stocked. We didn’t find what we wanted. (Even my favorite frozen rolls were out of stock.)
·      Canned goods – lots of empty space
·      Egg substitutes – I took the last one
·      Milk – low
·      Cottage cheese – store brand gone, other stock low
·      Frozen veggies – low
·      Flour – all gone except for a few bags of the expensive stuff. (I’ve never tried it, but Chris loves it.)
·      Powdered milk – nowhere to be found
·      Toilet paper – I forgot to check that aisle
·      Soap – The guy who said it isn’t in short supply wasn’t shopping this store.

 ·      Tortillas – Totally gone! None!

There was plenty of produce. I got apples and potatoes and we selected two big bunches of bananas, some of which we will freeze for Mike’s energy shakes. The meats looked good. There was lots of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, and the cereal aisle was well stocked and fronted.

I was amused to see they were restocking the ice cream. It was good to see that as a society we still have our heads on straight. “Be sure to get the ice cream!”

As for the other shoppers, there weren’t many, and I didn’t stare at them. I noticed some wearing masks, some wearing gloves, and some not bothering with either. One man was wiping doors with what appeared to be a disinfecting wipe before he opened them. For the most part, shoppers avoided each other, though I’m sure we broke the six-foot rule in passing from time to time. I would say all of us were over 60. (Well, that one lady might have been in her 50s.)

At the check out, the cashier said she couldn’t touch our reusable bags. I was taken aback. Okay, I understand. Store employees are protected. But – what about your shoppers? I’ve just had to touch your carts, your door handles, and your touchscreen, and you provide no sanitizing wipes! I said nothing, but Mike said, “I don’t want plastic sacks. I will bag the groceries.” She agreed.

Will there be a next time? – Probably. I just don’t know when, and I’ll probably try to visit a store with deeper discounts. KW

4 comments:

Chris said...

Hmmm, I'd have thought they'd have restocked, too. No tortillas? Everyone must be eating tacos! I'm grateful I bought a double pack of corn tortillas from Costco the last time I was there. I often just sprinkle cheese on them, zap in the microwave and then roll them up for lunch. Today I rolled slices of my last avocado in them. So good!!

Hallie said...

We bought a fancy ice cream dessert the last time we were at the store. It wasn't a "Be sure to get the ice cream" situation--it was more of a "Well...it IS a crisis. We should have ice cream."

Kathy said...

Haha! So true. Ice cream is my favorite comfort food.

Hi Chris! I was surprised that the tortillas were gone because the display is always full, but they do make a good meal with whatever you roll up in them. I find tortillas quite filling.

M/W said...

Chris, your tortillas lunches sound pretty good.