Tuesday, April 14, 2020

SHOPPING ALBERTSONS


Mask – check
Gloves -- check
Disinfectant wipes – check
Hand sanitizer – check
List – check
It was just after 8:00 a.m., and I was off to Albertsons, this time by myself. Mike had physical therapy for his left wrist at 9:00. We agreed that he would pick up a few items at Winco while in Lewiston.

We last shopped at Albertsons on Thursday, April 2 – about two weeks ago. The scene today was much different. They were clearly prepared to limit the number of people in the store with physical distancing spots indicated for those waiting to enter. It was not a problem this morning, though. As I entered, a masked employee holding a clipboard made a notation and asked the person behind me to wait a minute while I got my cart and set off into the store.

All Albertsons employees were masked, which was not the case two weeks ago. However, I noticed that stockers from other companies were mostly working unprotected. All women shoppers were masked; a few men were not.

I smiled at the produce guy, but he didn’t smile back. Then I realized he couldn’t see my smile. I noticed that behind their masks, shoppers were minding their own business – not speaking, not making eye contact. We were islands unto ourselves, careful to avoid each other – perhaps not much different than usual.

“Shoppers,” said the canned message over the speaker, “Albertsons has dedicated the hours between 7:00 and 9:00 a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays to the ‘at risk’ population. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Your cooperation is appreciated.”

As to products, here are the high points of what I noticed:
·      Flour -- none
·      Canned soup – well picked over. And this is Albertsons, remember. Soup is expensive here – and it’s depleted! Plenty of ramen noodles, though.
·      Canned fruits and vegetables – rather spotty; store brand green beans were gone.
·      Toilet paper – sparse, and the sign said only one package per customer. I bought a large package of the store brand and was happy to get it.
·      Other paper products – All paper products were one package per customer. Stock was low. I got napkins and paper towels.
·      Eggs – one carton per customer
·      Disinfectants – totally gone, including daily shower sprays
·      Disposable gloves – gone. And that’s food for thought. I think the gloves are as important as the masks.

At the check-out, I again noticed the red squares indicating appropriate physical distancing for those in line. Those sticks we place to separate the orders on the belt? – gone. The cashiers were friendly and we discussed the difficulties of wearing masks – claustrophobia, itchiness, discomfort, slippage, etc. I could hardly wait to get to the car and take mine off, so I didn’t envy them having to wear theirs for hours.

Well, I bought a lot of groceries, and I didn’t even buy meat. The “bag girl” – what do we call those now? – told me that she had tried to pack my groceries conservatively because they’re running out of sacks. I immediately thought of our reusable bags, but they don’t want to use those now.

Mike reported that all Winco personnel and about half the shoppers were wearing masks. The bulk section, where he buys his peanuts, was closed, but they had some pre-packaged. He was able to buy bulk candy, probably because it’s wrapped.

Someone on TV said that we should toss the mask in the washing machine. I rinsed ours out in sudsy hot water at the sink. They also recommend immediately removing your clothes for the laundry and taking a shower. We did not do that. KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

I can't believe Albertson's is still out of so many items. I think I told you that our Winco was well stocked and we found everything we were looking for. They are limiting the number of paper items and eggs, but beyond that, they seemed to have things well in hand, for which I was grateful.

Kathy said...

I can't say what Albertson's distribution problems might be. I wonder if because this is a smaller store in a small community, it does not receive priority in the distribution chain. I shop there for several reasons, chief among them today that there are fewer shoppers.