Thursday, April 9, 2020

WHAT DAY IS IT?




Mike found me standing in the kitchen staring at the calendar. “What are you doing,” he asked.
“I’m checking to see what day it is.” Days in isolation tend to run together, and it’s especially true if you don’t get a newspaper.
“It’s the 9th,” he said.
“Well, this is Thursday, so it’s the 11th, right?” He agreed.
“So, this coming Sunday is Palm Sunday, and Easter is the 21st,” I said, “but I thought last Sunday was Palm Sunday, and this Sunday is Easter.”
“It is,” Mike said.
Boy! There are serious errors here, I thought to myself. But a more alert Mike blurted out, “What year is this calendar?”
Sure enough – 2019.

We get at least 15 free calendars a year – from the broker, our insurance agent, the historical society (free with membership), JoAnn Fabrics, and then a dozen or so from non-profits we support and some we don’t. When the next year’s calendars begin to show up, I toss the current year, but somehow this one slipped through. We took it down – no use to leave it on the wall – and will replace with another from our stash.

Nature summary:
·      One mouse in trap.
·      A dozen ducks winging away from the pond.
·      An owl hooting in the distance in the wee hours of the morning.
·      Three deer tramping the field.
·      A pair of geese on the pond. I wish you could have heard the cacophony once they caught sight of me. Then they flew.
·      Patches of violets bloom in the yard. Their scent is delightful and reminds me of childhood.

We walked to the mailbox yesterday afternoon and came back over June’s field. The ground holds moisture but isn't muddy except for the wet spots. It will probably dry quickly. KW

4 comments:

Chris said...

Love the calendar story!! It can happen to any of us. Sorry Mike got stung and I hope it's feeling better now. Those wasp stings HURT!

M/W said...

Kathy put some baking soda poultice on it and within 20 minutes I never noticed it again.

Chuck said...

I remember getting stung by a hornet when I was hauling a log up to the house for cutting up. I went to the house, and before the tractor stopped running I was at the house. Grandma Ina put a baking soda and bluing poultice on it and the pain immediately went away.

Kathy said...

Yes, the wasp stings DO hurt, but of particular concern was to have his right hand out of commission, even for a short while, when use of his left is already limited. However, all is well now.

Hi Chuck! I never heard of adding bluing. I don't even have any bluing. Well, the baking soda worked all on its own.