Tuesday, April 21, 2020

AND NOT A MOMENT TOO SOON


I was nervous when Mike downed the fir tree and pulled it into the field. The farmer was spraying in the neighbor’s field, which meant they deemed it dry enough to work. I thought they could come here any moment, and while it IS our land, we should stay out of the way of the farming operation.

We returned to our “logging” site Tuesday morning. Within an hour and a half, we had cut our firewood and loaded it in the pick-up. An hour later, a farmer’s helper arrived to spray our fields, and later this afternoon – well, they ran something else over the ground. The latter operation kicked up a lot of dust.




3 comments:

Chris said...

I see in this morning's paper that beans are a hot commodity these days as everyone is looking for shelf-stable items.

Chuck said...

What was the "something" they ran over the field? Are they still planning on planting spring wheat?

Kathy said...

I'm reading the paper digitally, and it's easy to miss articles. I didn't see the article about beans. It is true, though that beans are a nutritious shelf-stable item.

I don't know what the something was, Chuck. The first operation was a spray, probably killing weeds. The second appeared to be a rake, perhaps to break up the soil a bit before planting. The land is leased to the farmer, and the business of it is his. They don't stop to chat.

I haven't seen them today, but I do hear machinery nearby. I expect they are planting.