Sunday, April 5, 2020

OF MASKS AND HAMBURGER BUNS



Abuzz with polinators
 Wearing masks in public is now strongly recommended, and since I suspect that not wearing something over the mouth and nose will now be socially unacceptable, I am again making masks. The “Bah! Humbug!” masks I made last weekend are fine but rather bulky, so I’m making others for Mike and myself and also sending to Hallie and Nick in Seattle.
Shoppers line up at Home Depot, Seattle

For me, the most difficult part of the mask project is finding just the right fabric in my stash. It has to be right – the right color, the right texture, neither too heavy nor too light, not too girly, not too garish. They say you can use whatever you have in the house. Well, I don’t think so. It’s an experiment, and when you finish, you still have a makeshift mask.

And when you wear the mask, you must be sure not to let it drop on your chest as you take it off, and it must be washed in hot water before you wear it again. Also, wearing a mask doesn’t take the place of physically distancing and washing your hands. In fact, I heard yesterday that if you do go out in public, you should remove your clothes, put them in the laundry, and bathe. I have not been this zealous.

Homemade face mask
The upside of searching my stash for fabric is that I’ve found things. Last weekend I found a kit for a pincushion doll that I’ve had since high school. I’m into pincushions right now, so it was on my mind. I thought it was at the farm, so I was surprised to find it here. Yesterday I found two brand new pairs of crew socks that I had stashed away for sock dolls, but hey! – I’m short on socks, so finding them was a boon.

Spring in town
We decided we’d like to have barbecued pork sandwiches for supper last night, but we had no hamburger buns. We discussed the possibility of going to the neighborhood market to get some, but I said that running to the store is exactly what we’re not supposed to do. Instead, I made some with the help of my bread machine. A practiced baker of bread I am not, so their shape was odd and they were scorched on the bottom, but they tasted good anyway. KW

3 comments:

Chris said...

Hey, pulled pork sandwiches are what we had last night! Found some buns in the freezer when I reorganized it yesterday that were actually still usable, but plan to make some of my own soon. Glad you did and that they turned out, even with the scorched bottoms.

Kathy said...

Oh, well. Bess waits eagerly for those scorched bottoms.

M/W said...

I thought the bottoms were good.